Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why Didn't You Tell Me?

Or maybe you did and I just didn't listen! This jet lag is for the birds!! I am really struggling over here trying to get things at least semi-picked up and the clothes washed...all on basically no sleep. Bryce and Braden are the only rested ones today so they have extra Wesleigh duty today ;) She sacked out at 7:30 last night (picture) but from midnight till 7:00am she was up and down constantly. She is "sleeping" in a pack 'n play right by my bed because that's what the set up was in China, but she gets up and whines at me constantly. I've tried putting her in bed with me, bottles, blankets, no blankets, rubbing her back, leaving her alone, talking to her, being silent, get the idea. I am counting down the minutes until naptime...we're at 50 minutes right now!!
If that wasn't bad enough, Cade was up and down too. He came in our bed sometime in the middle of the night because he had a dream, but I kicked him out because he's hard to sleep with (not that there was any sleep to get). He came back sometime later and said he couldn't sleep. Richard ended up watching tv with Cade and Wesleigh at about 5:00am (I think). The top picture is how I found Cade when I got up this morning. So funny.
OK, there's my complaining. I have 28 minutes and counting before Miss W and I go down for a nap. I think I'll limit it to 2 hours today (as much as that pains me to say). I got us both up after 3 hours yesterday and she was pretty mad at me for a while and only wanted the boys. I thought it was hysterical. I wasn't happy to be up either ;)
I have a really cute picture for your bow fix. I'll try to post it later (but I'm not promising anything ;) We might be tired, but one of us is dressed to the 9's! (the other one hasn't washed her hair since she was in China!! LOL....)


Lynne said...

Forget the washing and housework!You've all been through a huge experience in the last week.Just catch up on your sleep and things will soon come right.Things always feel worse when you are deprived of sleep.Perhaps a warm bath for Miss.W might help.I've bathed my children at 3am before now to settle them down! Take care..we're all here with you! :)

Leah Mei said...

Welcome to "Post China" week. That is what I call the week I barely remember because I was a sleep deprived zombie. Good news is it will come together for you. My sister told me to just leave everything as is but I ended up hiring someone to come and just do laundry and put stuff away because the added clutter was stressing me out and Leah was very clingy making it hard for to do anything. After a week I got my strength back and we were back to normal (plus one!) Then the real fun began.


The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I feel for you....seriously...I do! It took us a few weeks to switch Lottie over...we finally picked a "D" day...ha ha...a Sunday and made her stay up all day with no nap. It was hard hard work but we did it and when she to bed that night she slept all night and that was the end of it! Praying for you all:)

shelley said...

Remember when your boys were newborns???? That is how you are supposed to act now. Forget the major cleaning and picking up. Rest and get outside if you can.

Christy said...



Jodee Leader said...

You poor thing! I can't even imagine! Hang in there!

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

no one can ever tell you because most of us don't remember it!!Mine lasted 2 weeks!! I just gave up on the laundry and unpacking and decided it would still be there when I recovered.
Sunshine was the biggest help for Hayden, and she would not sleep unless she was sleeping right on top of me(I finally caved because someone had to get some sleep) Limit the napping which hurts really bad, and have your boys run her ragged from the time she gets up from naptime til bedtime.
By the way....Showers are VERY overrated:) and 3 day old pajammas are the new little black dress!!
Good luck, it does get better.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Oh I forgot to mention someone recommended local honey to us to help all of us sleep. Well I was desparate and we both took a tablespoon each night and by the second night it seemed to help. We couldn't give it to Hayden because she was not one yet, but it is said that it does wonders for kids!! just a thought.

Mrs. S. said... I remember those days after China. I use to literally fall asleep on the floor the second Kate would fall asleep. It took me about 2 weeks to get out of the funk...I can seriously feel your pain!My husband would come home to find me on the kitchen floor passed out! I will NEVER forget that feeling. I didn't have any jet lag whatsoever going to China, but returning to PA was will end though and you will all resume a normal pattern...thinking of you and sending you good thoughts!
Lynn Schadler
Wyomissing, PA

DiJo said...

As I told you Ruby's floor, the family room floor, you name it I slept on it the first couple of weeks... I truly believe, like childbirth, God does allow us to forget the pain... Or, why else would we do any of it again.. And, why would I be counting down the sleeps until Sienna Grace is mine forever!

I like that honey idea... Perhaps a benadryl/honey cocktail for The Tea Cup tonight!

Love ya,

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Jennifer,

I have not had a chance to come over and say "welcome home" Sounds like you are slowly getting settled in. I am sure you are wiped out.....I can't imagine the shock to your system to return from a trip like that and then trying to get W to adjust to the new schedule too!! Hang in there and try not to get nuts over things like housework and laundry.....just do a little at a time!



Melinda said...

Welcome home! Jet lag is horrible! I really feel for you! I felt like I had the flu after returning home from China but really it was just bad jet lag. I swear I had never experienced exhaustion like that before and I have been through three newborn stages!

The good news is that is does get better! I would say it took me a good two weeks to begin to feel like I was capable of getting into some type of routine. After that you slowly feel more of your "normal" life returning except for the fact that you are chasing around a toddler! Now that was something completely different to get use to since my youngest son was 7 at the time we brought Mia home.

Just remember...this too shall pass.

Felicia said...

Oh, I remember that jet lag and it is rough. It took us about 2 weeks to feel normal. I've also heard that's how long it takes a child to flip their nights and days. Hang in there. It will get better.

Praying for your guys and sending hugs. I wish I lived closer, I'd babysit so you could get some sleep.

Isabella's Mommy and Daddy said...

OMW.. I know what I have to look forward to now..
Soon it will all be behind you ..

Julie said...

We called it "Jet Drag". And then came the parasites! The beginning was pretty hard, but then I would do it all over again to have her in my life. Welcome home, sweet girl!

Tricia said...

I hope you guys feel better soon. I am not looking forward to that time. I'm hoping my mom will help with keeping my house put together. My older daughters won't be going with us. They will be a huge help when we return since they won't have jet lag. I am worried about my poor husband. He will have to go right back to work.
Don't worry about the house, or hint to some friends so they will come and help :). Although I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my friends to help around my house. They would be disgusted.

Stephanie said...

That sleep on the couch sure looks good right now :) Hope you can get rested soon!!!! and she starts sleeping better at night-even though we haven't gone through the jet lag I sure know what sleepless nights are like when you try everything you can possibly think of and end up just laying there praying sleep will come soon.

Don't worry about everything else in the house. it'll be there in a few days and you can get it all done then :)

3 Peanuts said...

Oh Jennifer....I feel for you. I luckily did not have the jet lag but I did have the many many nights where Kate cried most for the night. It was tough. I DO know that one recommendation someone left here is really accurate. Get her out in afternoon sun (like between 3-5 resets the internal clock. It really does..we have done that for years when the time changes and we did it when ours got home from CHina too.

Also, we have used benadryl (at the advice of your pediatrician to get out of a waking up cycle with both Harry and Kate once. I hate medicines but it worked too.

I wish I could help. I will pray :)

carolinagirl said...

hang in there. as so many say, it will get better. does that comfort you at 3am...NO!!! so sorry. we will have been home for 4 months tomorrow. honestly, it took a GOOD 2 months for emma to start sleeping. she would wake up SCREAMING as if someone was poking her with a hot stick - a horrible way to be awakened. y'all will figure things out, but it will take a while. you can do it. in a few months, you'll look back and it won't seem quite as painful. i promise you'll probably always remember these trying times tho. :)

can't wait to see more bows.

Anonymous said...

Hoping each day gets a little better:) So glad that you are all home safe and sound!

Blessings, Ashley

Everyday Mom Designs said...

I hope you all get more sleep at better times soon.. I can only imagine how hard it is right now.. I've been to Japan, but didn't have a family to take care of, at that time.. lol.

Football & Fried Rice said...

I remember thinking I was doing "so good" after China - I think I still had those endorphins :) I really can't remember when the "fog lifted" - but I am thinking it was only recently! Not to discourage you ;) It IS hard when you have everyone depending on you for everything AND a new baby to take care & get to know, etc - you are doing GREAT!!!

Powered by Blogger.