The next morning, I was relieved to see the water looked to recede a little bit overnight. Richard got to the airport early and was able to catch an earlier flight to try to make it home. It was questionable if he would be able to make it, however, because the interstates were being closed and roads were flooding all around us.
The boys decided to empty the freezer and grill anything they found.
Yes, If you're counting...there's an extra boy. I'm telling you, there was no way we thought we were flooding!
My brother and his family live on the other side of the same river. We had a group message going with our dad keeping up with each other. We were both in the same situation. I put my dad in charge of helping Richard get home from the airport in New Orleans while checking on which roads were closed. It took him 6 hours to get us to our town by going around flooded areas. He drives a really big truck and that came in handy!
He finally made it to us by parking as close as he could and getting a friend to bring him to the house in a boat. It must have been around 4:00 in the afternoon by the time he made it to us. It was becoming more apparent that we would be taking on water.
And the water came. Fast!! Our plan was to stay at the house upstairs, but when the water started coming in and sewage started to back-up, there was no way we were staying there overnight!